The people of the village, as with most people I've met in Thailand, sure know how to throw a party. There are 5 key ingredients for every gathering with Thai people and this party had it all:
- Friends: Everyone is invited - friends, families, adorable children, and in this case, all of the farang in Suphan. It was so great to be able to hang out with the families that live in the village and they were so friendly and welcoming.
- Food: It's no surprise that one of the first phrases most people living in Thailand learn is "Gin khao yung?" or "Have you eaten yet?" because food is an essential part of Thai living - and of course the food here is so spectacular even if you have already eaten you usually say no. The village party featured an overflowing table with a feast of som tom, sticky rice, stir-fried pork with holy basil, and many more delicious Thai goodies. As soon as we arrived we were handed a plate of rice and a fork and spoon and invited to dig in, which we obviously did!
- Drinks: No party with the locals is complete without Thai whiskey and soda water (though it's not exactly my style). One of the more impressive drinkers at this party was a young mother of 4 who out-drank everyone in the village. I started to get scared of her when she would fill up my drink, clink my glass and then promptly down hers while I futilely attempted to drink my Singha - and she wouldn't leave until my glass was empty! She also did this while rocking one of her small children... definitely a champ.
- Karaoke: Obviously! Karaoke had already begun when I arrived and it was going all night: solos, duets, group dances, Ronan Keating songs, Thai beats, etc. who needs a DJ when you can choose and sing all of the songs by yourself?
- Dancing: Of course, with the karaoke comes the dancing... the main show on this night was a 3 year old boy who jumped for about an hour straight to Thai pop songs. The ladies of the village also impressed with their jazzercise and traditional Thai inspired moves while I showed off my J-Lo moves (kidding!...kinda).
Here's a few pics and a video of the night. Enjoy!
|The champ herself forcing Nell to down her Singha|